5 hours, 2–6 persons, 90€/person
Get to know freeskiing, backcountry skiing, and the routes closest to Ukonhattu safely with the experienced guides of the Pyhä ski school. On this tour, you will learn the basics of backcountry skiing and familiarize yourself with backcountry skiing equipment. You will also get the chance to get to know the nature of Pyhä-Luosto National Park and the stunning landscapes shaped by the Ice Age. Ukonhattu is the second peak of the Pyhätunturi mountain range and it is also commonly known as Kakkonen (second).
The program includes two downhills, a longer approach, an ascent to Ukonhattu and a transition back to the skiing center. If you are not quite sure of your skiing skills, we recommend starting with the Intro or Off-piste program before participating in a longer tour.
We will ski outside the marked slopes, so you need advanced skiing skills in variable slope conditions. Suitable equipment is freestyle skis slightly wider than the usual downhill skis, telemark skis, or a split board snowboard with touring bindings and ski skins.If you wish you can rent the touring gear and snow safety equipment from the Rental shop. We recommend testing the gear beforehand.
The program requires:
– a one-time ticket for the Express lift
– backcountry skiing equipment (skis or split board snowboard with touring bindings and ski skins, or snowboard and snowshoes)
– poles with wide handles poles (we recommend telescopic poles, especially for snowboarders)
– avalanche rescue gear (shovel, beeper, probe)
- an easy-to-eat snack and enough to drink (also warm)
– warm clothes also for breaks
– a backpack suitable for carrying equipment (please pay special attention to this with snowshoes)
Programs outside the slopes are always depending on weather conditions.
Skiing outside the marked slopes is always at your own risk.